
I have been accused by some as being a 'fanatic', 'addicted' and 'obsessed' when it comes to the Olympics. This has caused me some reflection. Why is it that I feel so strongly about international sport? Is there something wrong with me for feeling the way I do? The answer to this question is a resounding "maybe." However, I'm not concerned enough about it to do anything differently.
I LOVE seeing the nations of the world come together, to compete in peaceful and healthy competition. I love the feeling that people have traveled from half way around the globe, speaking languages that I'm sure I've never even heard of, to stand next to each other as spectators and fans. I love the idea that a no one can become a hero - whether for a small country in Africa or the U.S.A. I love the thrill of the chase. I love festivity.
I will never compete in the Olympics (although in the game two truths and a lie my lie is often that I qualified for the 2000 Sydney games in the high jump, but had to withdraw due to a knee injury), but I support those who have dedicated their lives to becoming great at the obscure things they do.
Olympics, I do love you. I will never retreat from you. And I can't wait for you to get here.
2 comments:
I'll openly admit to being the one who called you addicted - however - let the record show that I said you were addicted to TELEVISION, NOT the Olympics.
Please oh please can we watch some together?? Though (embarrassingly) ignorant of your Olympics fanaticism, it came as NO shock. It just seems like one of those festivities that Cheryl would lovity-love like Christmas and Snow. So . . . if I came up could we watch curling at 3am together? Maybe? I'll let you think about it.
Post a Comment